Bionics is the science of constructing artificial systems that have some of the characteristics of living systems. The emPOWER Ankle is still the only prosthesis with powered propulsion that emulates lost muscles and mimics normal ankle movement for a natural stride. The benefits of BionX’s technology have been shown in clinical studies and published in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Increased energy for faster walking with less fatigue and easier climbing of ramps, hills and stairs1,2,3
- Normalized walking gait to reduce joint forces that lead to pain and the potential for osteoarthritis1,2
- Real-time control of full ankle movement for improved safety and stability across any surface
- Herr, A. Grabowski, ‘Bionic ankle–foot prosthesis normalizes walking gait for persons with leg amputation’, Proc Biol Sci. Vol. 7; 279(1728): 457–464. 2012.
- Grabowski, S. D’Andrea. ‘Effects of a powered ankle-foot prosthesis on kinetic loading of the unaffected leg during level-ground walking,’ Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, 10(49), 2013.
- Esposito, et al., ‘Step-to-step transition work during level and inclined walking using passive and powered ankle–foot prostheses’, Prosthet Orthot Int., 2015.
- Data on file from the emPOWER Ankle validation testing.